The triune church of St. George in Negades village in Zagori, Epirus

The church of St. George in Negades of Epirus and the work of painters from Kapesovo Iοannis and Anastasios Anagnοstis
The benefactor of the Triune Church of St. George in Negades, Zagori, was merchant Hatzimanthos GinouAgios Georgios or St. George in Negades village, is an excellent sample of ecclesiastical architecture. This imposing triune Church is one of the most impressive churches in Zagori and Epirus in general. It was completed in 1795 by the benefactor merchant Hatzimanthos Ginou.
The chancel screen, pulpit and high altar of St. George in Negades, Zagorohoria, were carved out of wood and dressed with gold sheet by the "taliadouroi" [cutters, wood craftsmen]It has a wood carved and dressed with gold sheet chancel screen, pulpit and high altar and is a brilliant example of the art of the “taliadouroi” [cutters, wood craftsmen] while the ornate frescoes were painted by Kapesovo artists (Kapesovites) Ioannis and Anastasios Anagnostis.
The churche's bell tower has a hexagonal katopsis, with arched openings in the upper part, and is located in the northeast part of the church at a short distance from the temple The 18th century in Epirus is characterized for its large and varied artistic production. The religious painting turned in the Western art and mainly to artistic style of baroque by adopting new artistic practices. Especially the self-governing privileges and economic prosperity of Zagori was the ideal environment for developing interesting mural paintings. In the work of Ioannis and Anastasios and mainly in St. George of Negades – murals of their mature phase – condenses the art of Kapesovites painters and also the art of the end of the 18th century, a turning point for post byzantine religious painting. Of additional interest are the paintings of Aristotle and Plato.
The triune church of St. George in Negades village in Zagori, Epirus

View of the chancel of St. George Byzantine church in Negades, Epirus, Greece The narrow window behind the Holy altar of St. George Byzantine church in Negades, Epirus, Greece A mural of Saint Dionysius the Areopagite in St. George Byzantine church in Negades, Epirus, Greece
The Byzantine church of St. George in Negades, Epirus and its hexagonal bell tower An epigraph above the entrance of St. George triune church in Negades, Epirus stating the benefactor and the date built - 1792 - The well known palindrome: "νίψον ἀνομήματα, μὴ μόναν ὄψιν" or in plain english, "wash the sins, not only the face" A trellis with an angel above separating the gynaeceum from the main church of St. George in Negades, Zagorohoria Time has taken its toll on the wooden parts of the entrance to the chancel of the church

"The couple that overslept on Sunday morning and did not go to the church", mural in the gynaeceum of the Church of Ag. Georgios in Negades, Zagori
Mural in the gynaeceum (womens quarters): the scale of righteousness ... (the righteous on the left hand side, the sinners on the right hand side) ... the woman that steals zucchini ... the woman that steals cabbage or leeks ... the clergy ... and the Scribes and Pharisees ... all end up in the mouth of the monster of Hades!

More
Share on FacebookGoogle+Pin on PinterestEmail to someone